Information on Besançon
Besançon is the capital and principal city of the Franche-Comté area in the east of France. Located close to the France-Swiss border, it is the capital of time mechanisms. The city has one of the most beautiful historical centres which presents a remarkable ensemble of classic stone buildings, some dating back to the Roman era. The old town is enclosed in a broad horse-shoe part of the river (Doubs), which is blocked off at the neck by Vauban's imposing Citadelle.
The citadel, the city walls and Fort Griffon were added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 2008, as part of the “Vauban's Fortifications” group.
The event will be held at the FEMTO-ST Institute (47.25303 / 5.996918)
15B Avenue des Montboucons
25030 Besançon cedex
© FEMTO-ST headquarters - Denis Bouvier / Groupe 6
The four airports closest to Besançon are:
- Paris Charles de Gaulle airport (then take the train to Paris - Gare de Lyon (about 1 hour), then the high speed train (TGV) to Besançon (about 2h)).
IMPORTANT 2 railway stations: Besançon Franche-Comté TGV and Besançon Viotte (center of the town). Besançon can be accessed by train from
- Paris Gare de Lyon – Besançon Franche-Comté TGV or Besançon Viotte: about 2h - 9 high-speed trains per day
- Lyon – Besançon Franche-Comté TGV or Besançon Viotte: about 2h - 5 high-speed trains per day
- Strasbourg – Besançon Franche-Comté TGV or Besançon Viotte: about 2h - 5 high-speed trains per day
You can take a direct train to Besançon Franche-Comté TGV and then take the shuttle linking this station to Besançon Viotte (15minutes, 3€ or free depending on chosen station)
To book a journey, you can do it on line SNCF
High Speed Train (TGV): www.sncf.fr
- From the train station Besançon Viotte: take the bus N° 3, to Temis. The needed stop is Temis (about 20 minutes).
- From the center of the town: take the bus N° 11, to Founottes. The needed stop is Temis (about 20 minutes).